The Greek Catholic Cathedral of the Holy Trinity and the episcopal residence are the most representative sacral building and high-value monumental complex in Križevci. It was founded on the foundations of the Augustinian monastery from the 14th century, and later the Franciscan monastery from the 17th century. Križevci was assigned to the Greek Catholics by Empress Maria Theresa and Pope Pius VI as the seat of the diocese as early as 1777, but the Baroque architecture of the monastery and the church only from 1801 gradually adapted to the needs of the episcopal residence and the Eastern liturgy.
In the bishop’s residence, which is part of the magnificent church, there is a particularly valuable library of Greek Catholic bishops where incunabulas have recently been found (very rare and valuable copies of books that were not handwritten, but mechanically printed before 1501 in Europe). Library holds the first printed Bible in the Croatian language by Petar Katančić, printed in 1831 in Buda. About five thousand valuable books are kept in the library, and the oldest ones date back to the 15th century.
The church changed its external and internal appearance in 1895-1897 receiving the stylistic characteristics of the neo-Gothic according to the ideas of the famous architect Herman Bollé, who also remodeled the Zagreb Cathedral. It was painted by our greatest painters from the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century (Bela Čikoš Sesija, Ivan Tišov, Ferdo Kovačević, Celestin Mato Medović and others).