There are numerous stories of the origin of the Church of the Holy Cross. One of them says that as early as the 6th century, Croats, who had just settled in this area, experienced a great thirst, over the well that invigorated them, and experienced the vision of the cross when they received the Faith. A church was built on the same place and was named the church of the Holy Cross.
This church is a witness to the most significant historical turmoil of this city and its surroundings and that is why, of all the famous buildings in the city, it is most implanted in the memory of its inhabitants. Church of the Holy Cross is not only the oldest preserved building in the city, but is one of the oldest churches in continental Croatia. It is mentioned in written sources as early as 1232. This church, marked by historical stratification, is characterized by some urban features.
The church was built outside the walls of the Lower Town, inside a separate fortress. The interior of the church preserves a very valuable monument, the late Baroque marble altar from 1756, the work of Francesco Robba. The altar was carved for the needs of the Zagreb Cathedral, where it was located until its restoration at the end of the 19th century. According to experts, the altar is one of the most beautiful sculptural achievements of the late Baroque of this area, so it is not surprising that it is a special attraction for all tourists and guests who visit our city. Large painting of Oton Iveković stands on the port of the sanctuary with the depiction of the “bloody assembly”. It was painted in 1914. Due to its width, which is over eight meters, it is one of authors greatest works.