Church of Our Blessed Virgin Mary of Sorrow and St. Marko
A masterpiece of Baroque architecture, a central three-leafed building with a dome. The church holds valuable examples of chalices, medallions, eternal light that testify to the rites of worship.
In 1702, the parish priest of Križevci, Juraj Janković, built a smaller chapel at the crossroads of the present church, and in 1715, a three-nave nave and a smaller side one-nave space were added. Two altars were placed in the nave: the Holy Trinity and the Holy Three Kings, which are still in the left and right apses.
Ten years later, the Paulines upgraded the apse parts of the church: three internally circular apse extensions and a dome above the crossroads. Church of St. Mary of Carinthia is important for Croatian architecture precisely because a three-leaf base plan appears in its sanctuary for the first time. The dome and the apsidal parts were painted in 1726. In the same year, the side space on the right side of the nave of the church was increased by two aisles, thus completely closing one outer wall of the nave. The high bell tower with a yoke in which the choir was built was added in 1872. This addition nullified the architectural emphasis on the dominant dome, below which is Altenbach’s statue of Our Lady of Sorrows.
In 2004, the Archbishop of Zagreb, Cardinal Josip Bozanić, founded a new parish of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Marko Križevčanin and then the parish church of the Mother of God of Carinthia became its parish church. During 2006, the church was completely renovated. At the end of the last or the beginning of this century, the vaults of the nave and the sacristy were decorated by a local painter.