Located in the city center in the main street of Ivan Zakmardi Dijankovečki. It was built in 1689 as a Pauline. The founder of the Pauline monastery in Križevci was the protonotary Ivan Zakmardi. Within the monastery, at his instigation, the first grammar school operated, which in 1674 received the privilege of King Leopold II. In 1786, Emperor Joseph II abolished the Pauline Order and the Church of St. Ana becomes the City Parish Church, and the monastery is transformed into a parish court and a Magistrate.
Crkva sv. Ane, +385 48 711 711, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
There are numerous stories of the origin of the Church of the Holy Cross. One of them says that as early as the 6th century, Croats, who had just settled in this area, experienced a great thirst, over the well that invigorated them, and experienced the vision of the cross when they received the Faith. A church was built on the same place and was named the church of the Holy Cross.
This church is a witness to the most significant historical turmoil of this city and its surroundings and that is why, of all the famous buildings in the city, it is most implanted in the memory of its inhabitants. Church of the Holy Cross is not only the oldest preserved building in the city, but is one of the oldest churches in continental Croatia. It is mentioned in written sources as early as 1232. This church, marked by historical stratification, is characterized by some urban features.
The church was built outside the walls of the Lower Town, inside a separate fortress. The interior of the church preserves a very valuable monument, the late Baroque marble altar from 1756, the work of Francesco Robba. The altar was carved for the needs of the Zagreb Cathedral, where it was located until its restoration at the end of the 19th century. According to experts, the altar is one of the most beautiful sculptural achievements of the late Baroque of this area, so it is not surprising that it is a special attraction for all tourists and guests who visit our city. Large painting of Oton Iveković stands on the port of the sanctuary with the depiction of the “bloody assembly”. It was painted in 1914. Due to its width, which is over eight meters, it is one of authors greatest works.
The Greek Catholic Cathedral of the Holy Trinity and the episcopal residence are the most representative sacral building and high-value monumental complex in Križevci. It was founded on the foundations of the Augustinian monastery from the 14th century, and later the Franciscan monastery from the 17th century. Križevci was assigned to the Greek Catholics by Empress Maria Theresa and Pope Pius VI as the seat of the diocese as early as 1777, but the Baroque architecture of the monastery and the church only from 1801 gradually adapted to the needs of the episcopal residence and the Eastern liturgy.
In the bishop’s residence, which is part of the magnificent church, there is a particularly valuable library of Greek Catholic bishops where incunabulas have recently been found (very rare and valuable copies of books that were not handwritten, but mechanically printed before 1501 in Europe). Library holds the first printed Bible in the Croatian language by Petar Katančić, printed in 1831 in Buda. About five thousand valuable books are kept in the library, and the oldest ones date back to the 15th century.
The church changed its external and internal appearance in 1895-1897 receiving the stylistic characteristics of the neo-Gothic according to the ideas of the famous architect Herman Bollé, who also remodeled the Zagreb Cathedral. It was painted by our greatest painters from the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century (Bela Čikoš Sesija, Ivan Tišov, Ferdo Kovačević, Celestin Mato Medović and others).
Baroque building, built in the suburbs of the Lower Town, at the junction of the access road from Zagreb with the network of city streets. It is located in front of today’s post office building. Chapel of St. Florijan is the most artistically valuable of the three baroque chapels in Križevci, and was built as a vow in 1735 after a fire. It was rebuilt in 1751. It was destroyed again in another great fire in 1775. It was restored at the end of the 18th century. At the door of the chapel of St. Florian, firefighters from voluntary societies bring flowers on the day of their patron saint.
A masterpiece of Baroque architecture, a central three-leafed building with a dome. The church holds valuable examples of chalices, medallions, eternal light that testify to the rites of worship.
In 1702, the parish priest of Križevci, Juraj Janković, built a smaller chapel at the crossroads of the present church, and in 1715, a three-nave nave and a smaller side one-nave space were added. Two altars were placed in the nave: the Holy Trinity and the Holy Three Kings, which are still in the left and right apses.
Ten years later, the Paulines upgraded the apse parts of the church: three internally circular apse extensions and a dome above the crossroads. Church of St. Mary of Carinthia is important for Croatian architecture precisely because a three-leaf base plan appears in its sanctuary for the first time. The dome and the apsidal parts were painted in 1726. In the same year, the side space on the right side of the nave of the church was increased by two aisles, thus completely closing one outer wall of the nave. The high bell tower with a yoke in which the choir was built was added in 1872. This addition nullified the architectural emphasis on the dominant dome, below which is Altenbach’s statue of Our Lady of Sorrows.
In 2004, the Archbishop of Zagreb, Cardinal Josip Bozanić, founded a new parish of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Marko Križevčanin and then the parish church of the Mother of God of Carinthia became its parish church. During 2006, the church was completely renovated. At the end of the last or the beginning of this century, the vaults of the nave and the sacristy were decorated by a local painter.
An early Baroque building from the 17th century and of the three Baroque chapels of Križevci, this is the oldest and largest. Formerly known as the Chapel of St. Ladislava. In 1969, Marko Križevčanin was proclaimed co-patron of the chapel. Since then, in Košice on July 2, 1995, Pope John Paul II. He declared Marko Križevčanin a saint, and since then the citizens have mostly called this chapel by his name. It is located along the main road that runs through the Upper Town to the north.
It was built on a former corner bastion where a smaller square was formed, bordered on two sides by houses. Construction was initiated in 1893, the foundations were laid in 1900, and construction was completed in 1904. It was built in the form of simple types of Krajina classicist churches adopted in the late 18th century.
The church was rebuilt in 2006 when the damaged tower with the cross was repaired, while in 2011 the church received a new facade.
It is located in front of the city cemetery, in the northern part of the Upper Town. It was erected in 1694.
In its current form, this small building dates only from the middle of the 18th century, and the bell tower from the first half of the 19th century. Inside the chapel there is an altar with statues of St. Rok, st. Fabian and Sebastian as protectors against the plague. The chapel is located in front of the city cemetery on the corner of Franje Markovića and Ivana Lepušića streets.